The information and resources below provide basic information regarding your rights as a victim of sexual violence. For more information or to speak with an advocate, please call The Laurel Center at 540-667-6466.
If you have been sexually assaulted:
- Get to a safe place.
- Tell someone you trust.
- Get medical attention.
- Report it to the police (if you are able).
- Know you are not alone. Call The Laurel Center 24-hours a day at 540-667-6466.
If your child discloses that someone sexually abused him or her:
- Believe your child.
- Get medical attention for your child.
- Take steps to ensure the safety of your child from further abuse.
- Find a support system for yourself so that you can be strong for your child.
- Report the abuse to the police or to Child Protective Services.
- Know that we can help. Call The Laurel Center 24-hours a day at 540-667-6466.
Access to forensic examinations:
Effective July 1, 2008, victims of sexual violence are no longer required to participate in the criminal justice system or cooperate with law enforcement in order to have a forensic medical examination or for that examination to be paid for. NOTE: Mandatory reporting requirements for child and elder abuse still apply. Click here for a full description of your rights under this new legislation.