On May 11, 2012, The Laurel Center held the groundbreaking ceremony for our new Emergency Shelter and Outreach Center located in downtown Winchester. Phase I was completed in 2013 and the buliding shell is now complete. Phase II of the Capital Campaign is well underway to raise the additional funds to complete the interior. Thanks to over $2.8 million raised, we are more than halfway to our goal! We still need your support! Gifts to the Capital Campaign are held in a separate reserve account and will be used for all building and campaign expenses (including but not limited to fundraising expenses) as well as capitalized costs that are approved by the Capital Committee. The Laurel Center is a 501 (c)(3) charitable organization which makes all gifts tax-deductible as allowed by law. Please consider a separate gift to the Capital Campaign today.
If you would like to support our Capital Campaign please mail your donation to:
The Laurel Center
PO Box 14
Winchester, VA 22604
Please write "Capital Campaign" on your check.
The New Emergency Shelter & Outreach Center
The new facility will dramatically improve our capacity to deliver services to the community. It will provide shelter that is safe, private and secure for individuals and families escaping domestic violence. At the same time, we will be able to better meet the needs of the community for counseling and educational programs on-site. The entire facility will be handicapped accessible to allow us to meet the needs of all our clients.
The new Laurel Center will expand much needed counseling, educational, and training space, including:
- Conference, meeting, and group rooms for educational programs and training
- Private counseling rooms for sessions with clients
- Individual staff offices
- Community Support Group areas
Additionally, the residence space will include:
- Eight individual bedrooms that will give families the privacy of their own rooms
- A large kitchen and living area where individuals and families can gather to eat, read, or talk
- Cheerful play areas indoors and outside for both older and younger children
- A respite room and outdoor leisure space where adults can find solace
- Private counseling rooms
- Support group meeting areas
- Separate group area for teens
- Bathroom facilities with private shower and toilet stalls that will accommodate the larger number of people
- A computer lab, laundry room, and storage space